Wednesday, November 20, 2013

My 2010 Ford Taurus SEL Stereo Upgrade


2010 SEL

Work In Progress:  Installed 2 8inch Subs in the rear (empty 6x8or9 holes). I had to make my own mount (got the idea from LotusDriver@SHOForum.com). It wasn't that hard but took a little time to mount and line with existing holes. I'm going to keep the other factory door speakers and A Pillar tweaters...they sound just fine to me....just want a little more bass. I'm installing a Pioneer double din HU and the Scosche Dash Kit. I'm also installing the PAC's to retain SYNC and Steering functions. I ran wires for my AMP already (using a cheap BOSS amp for now to power 600w 2/channel 4ohm. I've seen the 8inches in action and can't wait til I finish. I will post more pics later. I hope to finish the project Thanksgiving weekend.

 8 Inch Subwoofer

 My New Pioneer HU
 Making my own speaker mounts for 8 inch woofers
 Cut 4 pieces..will glue together to make 2 sturdy mounts
 Finished mounts...glued and painted black
 8 inch woofer will fire through the 6x9 opening. Will have to dynamat of course:)
 View from inside trunk. Will have to cut out the 'bubble' in the liner so that I put it back in. My AMP will mount on a piece of board between the woofers on top of the liner. Will have pics later to better explain.


This is my Scosche Taurus Dash Kit that I will use to install my HU. It also has a touch screen AC Display. I will take lots more pics as project progress.

**Updated Progress: 12/4/2013** 

I'm very please with my project results. I still have to mount the backup camera and the stereo amplifier. I hope to complete the project by this weekend. I will list all parts used and where I purchased from. Comments are welcome.  Thanks....steve



 
After (pic1)

After (pic3)

After (pic4)

Reverse Camera Installation
I installed a reverse camera inside the Ford Emblem on the back. If anyone is interested on materials used; then post a reply and I will give you more details. It only cost me $25 dollars:) 


 The camera is 'flushed' and does not stick out. It took some research to find the right camera to use and it was a cheap project.





17 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! Can't wait to see the end results

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gino 1/4" CCD Flush Mount Waterproof . See link below.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2ZD7OS/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I was wondering if your HU has Nav and what else extra did you have to buy to get the steering controls to work with the HU?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kenneth. My HU did not come with NAV but I used my phone Mirrored feature instead. My phone mirros to my HU so that I can use NAV and all my phone Apps.

      I use the the PAC SWI-RC Steering control module to retain controls on steering wheel. It was not easy to program..at least it wasn't for me. See link: http://amzn.com/B004HKBY8G

      I also use the PAC Sync module to retain my Microsoft Sync controls. See link:
      http://amzn.com/B003E3QRU2

      Delete
  4. Hi Steve,

    This is a beautiful install and I think I will be going with something similar. One question though - with the Scosche Dash Kit installed, does the Ford LCD display show the time any more?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Paul. I couldn't get the LCD to display the time but it still shows Sync Menu options, Compass, Temp and the type of connections (bluetooth, line in, DVD, etc.) My HU displays the time. I'm not saying the the LCD won't show time. I didn't fool with the settings too much since my HU displays time.

    Thanks,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Steve! I thought that might be the case but I wanted to check before I ordered that Scosche unit. I'm looking to install a tablet in my dash (instead of a head unit) so it sounds like I will need to build a clock into the interface.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great, Steve! When you installed the rear view camera, did you remove the rear emblem when using the hole saw? Also, did you run the wiring under the roof lining or were you able to conceal it a different way? Was it overall easy to install (do you recall how long it took)?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! Can you give me more details on how you did the camera and any other pointers on the installation of everything? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm getting ready to do an install in my 2012 sel, were you able to retain the usb and aux in the center console?

    ReplyDelete
  10. can you give steps for installing the camera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahmed, here is a link to a guide from someone (not me) who installed an OEM backup camera so while the steps will certainly be different, it should help you somewhat: https://www.fordtaurus.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16345

      Delete
  11. Doing a complete install my 2011 Ford Taurus SHO next week and although I'm sure I can find it on my own just curious to where you ran your power wire if you ran one

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doing a complete install my 2011 Ford Taurus SHO next week and although I'm sure I can find it on my own just curious to where you ran your power wire if you ran one

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just bought a 2011 limited I hope your still around if I have any questions

    ReplyDelete